10/31/13

Christmas Caroling on Halloween

Yes, you read that right. About 25 members of WBC (and I) went Christmas caroling tonight as a community outreach. Basically what we did was this: We went off in groups of seven or eight around a couple of neighborhoods. Instead of going trick-or-treating and receiving candy at people's doors, we would sing a few lines of "Joy to the World," "Hark the Herald Angels Sing," or "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" then hand over a gift bag of hot cocoa, an ornament, information about the church, and such.

Most everyone we encountered seemed pleasantly surprised by us and our ever-so-slightly off-key singing. A couple of sweet elderly ladies even joined in with us! One of my favorite moments was when one couple asked us which ward (of the local LDS/Mormon church) we were from. That question gave us the perfect chance to tell them a little about Westiside Baptist!

Another thing I especially enjoyed was that I got to spend time with some a few of the junior high students from WCS and a couple of elementary students while walking around. It really was a nice change of pace to get to be a little more relaxed, since these kids - particularly the younger ones - have only seen me as their teacher/teacher's assistant.

Speaking of teaching, it looks like I've landed my very first substitute teaching position! Wow, what an honor. ...And what a responsibility, even if I will only be in charge of the two adorable little first grade girls.

Well, it's 9:30 pm and I have an early morning ahead, with a full day at the school followed by getting to help get things ready for WBC's 20th anniversary banquet. I'm off!

No comments:

Post a Comment